Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Me No Tengo Metra, the Premier Commuter Rail System Serving Northeast Illinois, Monthly Train Pass

Yesterday, in front of a nail salon in my office building’s concourse, I came upon a man giving what appeared to be a presentation. He was positioned before a window sign that diagrams the locations of pressure points in one’s feet and hands. At first, I thought he was a nail technician, giving a talk explaining the ancient art of Reflexology.

"Um, train. Me no tengo train pass! Um, monthly pass. I do not have. Lost, please. Stolen. Stolen train...Choo-choo! Choo-choo! ...monthly pass, um, lost. Um, Me no tengo train pass..."

His words, heavily accented, echoed through the rather desolate marble hallway with a piercing staccato lilt. The lecturer had only 3 teeth and donned with a well-kept dandy mustache. He was dressed in a white ski jacked with a large “Polo Sport” logo embroidered across the back. He gestured wildly with every word that exited his mouth.

His audience, presumably a group of Asian tourists with their cameras, backpacks and overabundance of shopping bags, was listening politely and attentively to his speech. As confusing as the oration was, they were focused on their host, patiently listening to every word of his faltering speech. The few instances he was able to construct a full sentence they nodded encouragingly and in unison.

It was a beautiful site--a panhandler’s dream--an audience who listened, no matter what was said or the method of delivery.

I wanted to tell his spectators that this man was trying to con them into giving him money, but I didn’t have the heart. Despite the underlying dishonesty of the scenario, to witness that level of kindness on the part of the tourists was to catch a glimpse into something so rare and wholesome, it must, instead, be relished.

4 comments:

hucklebuck said...

If you'll recall in your entry titled "A Bitter Day" my last comment was left unresponded to. I am officially on strike from this blog until further notice.

I'm sorry it had to come to this, but me and guys like broken spanglish dude have to take a stand at some point. You've been walking all over us for some time now and............Ok, I'm sorry I called you a witch, I was just kidding, dang. WWJD Carrie, WWJD?

hucklebuck said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Carrie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Christiane said...

Another lovely post . . . of course I am knee deep in the hoopla, trying to sort out almost how the boyfriend's grandfather was conned out of almost $600,000 and have little patience for the game on a big or small scale. But still, lovely post.