Friday, September 08, 2006

The Christian Science Reading Room

One morning about 2 years ago, while cabbing it to work, I struck up casual conversation with the driver.

"I used to live in Marina City Towers. We had a balcony with a great view of the Christian Science Reading Room. In the five years that I lived there, can you believe that I never once saw anyone enter or exit that building?" he told me when we drove by the monolithic stone building. "Not once!" he incredulously exclaimed. "And I drive by it all the time now. Still haven't seen anyone. Kinda strange if you ask me."

Ever since then, I have paid careful attention to the building, about a block from my office, with its dark and shadowy entrances. And like him, I have not once seen anyone come or go.

Not once! Kinda strange if you ask me.

2 comments:

Robert Cass said...

I've walked by that building many times myself, and I've never seen anyone go in or come out either. Weeeeeeird.

Another question to ask ourselves is this: How could a cab driver afford to live in the Marina City Towers?

Ciana said...

You know, come to think of it, I never saw any comings or goings either...and I got a creepy feeling as I walked past.