Monday, December 12, 2005

Brace Face Barrett

Growing up, I longed for the day that I would have braces. On my teeth, not on my legs. Although, come to think about it, I wouldn't have minded having leg braces either. I was pretty obsessed with crutches and dreamt of the day I would have a legitimate reason to use them. My friend and neighbor, Lisa, was always twisting her ankle, the lucky duck, and had a stock of ACE bandages and various crutches around her house. I'd go over to her house and spend hours swinging around on them.

But really what I longed for were orthodontic braces. Silvery, shining pieces of twisted metal pieces. Very adult braces. I just thought they seemed like they would feel so cool in your mouth. I liked the way that brace-faced teenagers on the Disney Programs would say their "S'es". And I relished the attention I'd get from talking about them with strangers.

"Would you like a stick of gum, young miss?" said the beautiful stranger lady in the office supply isle of the Roses Department Store.

"Oh, no, ma'am. You see, I have braces and cannot chew gum," I answered while perusing the assortment of various ball point pens.

"Did it hurt when you got them on?" the beautiful stranger lady further inquired.

"Why, yes, ma'am, they did, thank you for asking."

"Bless your heart. I'm going to buy you that pen you have in your hand, plus that pile of carbon paper I saw you eying. I know you must have many important forms to fill out in duplicate. You seem like you have very pretty handwriting," said the beautiful stranger lady with a mix of both sympathy and jealousy in her response.


And she was right, I did have many important forms to fill out and very pretty handwriting.

Up until I was 3 years old, I would suck on my first three right fingers. Of course, most young children suck on their thumb, but I wasn't like most young children. I had to do everything differently. So everywhere I went, in stores, in the car and in Christmas photos with Santa, I would have my first three fingers in my mouth.

One day, while we were visiting my aunt and uncle in North Carolina, my mom, warned me that if I kept sucking on my fingers, I'd need braces. I asked her what braces were. She told me they were pieces of metal put in my mouth to straighten my teeth. She said that they hurt. Not knowing that I would one day want braces, I stopped sucking my fingers from that moment on.

Really, it didn't matter how much I sucked on my fingers. I had inherited my father’s crowded mouth and at 10 years old, on the young side of your average braces-wearer, I was told that my dream would finally come true, that I would need to wear braces.

Finally! No more straightening out paper clips, bending them to the shape of my teeth and wearing them! No more flattening out chewing gum and keeping it on the roof like a retainer! No more holding silver earrings up to my teeth so I could see what I'd look like with those precious brackets. I'd finally know first hand, how cool braces were!

For the next 4 years, I had almost every orthodontic procedure done to my mouth: teeth pullings, spacers, lip bumpers, a strange and painful roof thing that twisted my back molars, a plethora of brackets, bands, wires and rubber bands twisted and woven in front of every single tooth. Most of it put me on a pain-induced no-chew/Advil diet for several days after each appointment. For what seemed like an eternity, I couldn’t eat most all of the candy that I once loved. My mouth was a battleground of lip cuts and canker sores.

But, let me tell you, besides the disappointment of finding out that I would never get to wear a headgear and the gag-inducing plaster impressions that they made of my teeth before and after the whole ordeal, those were the best 4 years of my life.

7 comments:

hucklebuck said...

Oh, you totally missed out on the headgear. I had numerous contraptions in my mouth from about 3rd or 4th grade through junior year of high school. My orthodontist didn't pull teeth, so he just waited for teeth to fall out. I went from retainer to headgear to rubber bands to light braces to midevil knight gear braces.

Could those impression trays get any bigger? Hey, let's lodge a frisbee full of clay down this kids throat. It's a miracle I never had an episode with that, cause I gagged like crazy whenever I had that done to me. It was always a treat having them announce that their first impression didn't turn out, so we're gunna try another one, okay.

But the headgear, oh the headgear. It required putting a ring entirely around two of your molers (so the headgear had something to attach to). The fitting process was a bitch. They had to fit snuggly and to find one that did, it was a complete trial and error process. You had to bite on something that felt like the handle of a wrench to push the ring up the moler. Of course the right size wasn't found until the 4th or 5th try. Oh the memories!

P.S. I'm not sure I ever longed for braces, but I think it's hilarious that you did. I did however wear a knee brace/sleeve during 5th grade hoops eventhough I had no knee ailments, just thought it looked cool, ala Patrick Ewing.

And I've totally exceeded the word limit for a comment from a stranger. But we've both probably have some pretty sweet grills I bet!

Carrie said...

Word limit, schmird limit!

I had to have those bands on my teeth too, but obviously not for a headgear. The methods for fitting that you describe were totally in line with what I experienced. They were for that thing at the roof of my mouth (I think it was called a Gosh or something like that), which also made me gag when i firt got it. And as you know, I've always been terribly afraid of vomit, vomiting, coughing that sounds like it'll make you gag and gagging. So that (and, YES!, those God Awful impressions) made me really, really uncomfortable.

hucklebuck said...

Did you ever have to get your wisdom teeth taken out?

Carrie said...

Nope. They all grew in. I need to get them pulled though. Next year. Ugh.

hucklebuck said...

I was always dreading this procedure, but I finally got it done this past summer and it was a piece of cake. I heard all the horror stories, but I was put under (I know, I'm a real puss) and now it's over with. All four of them gone, and the doc said most people get put under now, so maybe I'm not that big a puss after all.

So don't sweat it. No more waking up in the morning and cursing your wisdom teeth for their very existence.

Anonymous said...

You do have lovely handwriting! And your teeth are perfection now.

They are telling me I might need braces again AND oral surgery to fix my massive over/open bite. Cool!

I hate to rain on the parade, but getting my wisdom teeth out this summer was one of the worst experiences of my life.

Two words: dry socket. Several more words: make sure your oral surgeon does not forget that he put dressing in your wound, or it will fester and begin to smell, and you'll have to say "hey what's that string?" and pull out a disgusting surprise.

Carrie said...

Ewwww!!! String!

I didn't know you got your wisdom teeth out, Marge. I heard that dry socket is the worst thing ever. Very painful. Did you suck or spit after the surgery? Seriously, I hear that causes it. And I'm not being dirty.

I think you have a great looking mouth, Marge. (great compliment, huh?) My teeth have also gotten somewhat crooked since I got my braces off in 7th grade. But I don't want to fix them because I think braces, whitening and enameling is making everyone's mouth look the same, thereby taking away that which makes each of us look unique. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I'm not a total horse face, but I like the little irregularities that I'm left with. And though you may be told your bite is not perfect, you have great teeth and a great smile.